Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Necromunda Wargamer

So far I've talked about my past with Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000. Now I get to talk about my favorite game, why I hate it and what I'm going to do about it.
Again, this is a game I picked up when I started getting into everything. By this point I was a bit older and the game store moved down the street to a bigger location. Here they had about 16 feet of wall space devoted to Games Workshop items and much more play area.

This was the store I spent a ton of time at. I got into Magic the Gathering heavily. I road my bike into town everyday to play Magic and browse the rack of RPG books. My interest in miniature wargaming led me to Necromunda, but once I started playing I fell in love with the character advancement and persistence of the campaign.
Over the years I always tried to get games of Necromunda together and at best I get a couple people interested. What makes is really hard is Games Workshops treatment of the property. A new (worse) edition gets made with promises for new models, a few new models come out and then the line dies out. This is of course when they refocused and built the idea of "core games" into their business. Basically everything but Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40,000 and then Lord of the Rings got thrown to the side and forgot about.
So then the answer is what can I play to get the same feel? Well, there's Kill Team. Not really the same. The idea behind Wreck Age is very good, but isn't quite what I'm after in a replacement for Necromunda. So the jury is still out. But searching has led me to meet awesome people and experience some great games. Some games I'm still playing too. Necromunda however might just be dead to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment