Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Game-A-Week: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza Power

This game is one from my childhood, long lost but I found a new copy for my friends and I to enjoy. Every one's favorite, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza Power board game. I've had this one for a little while and just needed an excuse to bust it out.



In this game, each player gets to select a turtle for their token. Fortunately this was resolved without a fist fight as the brothers like different turtles and the other two of us are civilized.
The point of the game is to get seven cards (four heroes and three villains) and go to the final boss battle. To get hero cards, one just needs to land on the "draw good guy card" spaces. To complicate this they must all be different heroes to count (so four Leo cards won't cut it). To get a bad guy card you have to reach a fight square and battle for it after wagering one of your hero cards. The battle system is more than just luck, it's actually challenging even for a group of gamers. A mere die roll won't cut it, you have to flip a die on a see-saw type device into the numbered section matching the number on the bad guy card (you do get two tries though). If that's not hard enough the final boss fight requires you to flip the die into each section in four attempts.
Our game involved me collecting the required cards first, and failing on the first boss fight attempt. That's when everyone else started to catch up and the race was on. Fortunately for me, I (using my superior ninja turtle skills) managed to beat the boss fight on my second attempt and won the game.


The game is for sale on line of course, but the price goes into the seventy dollar range. For that price I would avoid it unless you're a serious Ninja Turtle fan. Fortunately for you lesser fanatics, you can get the game in more worn condition (or missing a few pieces) for much cheaper (down to $13 at time of writing).
Unfortunately for me, my Kevin Eastman signed Underwhere (not underwear, Underwhere is another comic) and my large Ninja Turtle action figure collection, I am a serious Turtle fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment